2016 Wrap up and Top 5 Favourite Reads of 2016


So this is a little late but I thought since I just started my blog I’d include what I read in 2016. This won’t include all the books I read in 2016 as I can’t really remember what I read at the beginning of the year! So this wrap up is mostly what I read over the summer of 2016.

Here’s the books I read between July and December 2016:

1) The Fault in our Stars by John Green:  4/5 stars

2) The Edge of Forever by Melissa E. Hurst: 2/5 stars

3) Broken Sky by L.A. Weatherly: 5/5 stars

4) Summer Shadows by Joss Sterling: 3/5 stars

5) Looking for Alaska by John Green: 4/5 stars

6) The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho: 5/5 stars

7) Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton: 5/5 stars

8) Dream a Little Dream by Giovanna Fletcher: 3/5 stars

9) Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover: 5/5 stars

10) The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupery: 3/5 stars

11) My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick: 3/5 stars

12) To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han: 4/5 stars

13) Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins: 3/5 stars

14) The Manifesto on How to be Interesting by Holly Bourne: 4/5 stars

15) P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han: 4/5 stars

16) Since You’ve Been Gone by Morgan Matson: 4/5 stars

17) November 9 by Colleen Hoover: 5/5 stars

18) It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover: 5/5 stars

19) The Thousandth Floor by Katherine McGee: 4/5 stars

20) The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E Lockhart: 5/5 stars

21) The Christmas Mystery by Jostein Gardner: 3/5 stars

22) A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness: 4/5 stars

23) Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi: 5/5 stars


Here is my Top 5 books I read in 2016:

#1

My favourite book I read in 2016 has to be November 9 by Colleen Hoover. I started reading it at 11:00pm and finished it at 4:00am. That is how amazing this book is. This book is EVERYTHING. It made me laugh, made me cry, made me want to scream and honestly nearly gave me a heart attack. It just hit me in all the feels and you need to read it if you haven't already.

Unfortunately, I can't really say much about this book as it is infinitely better if you start reading it knowing literally nothing. I can tell you it's a New Adult Romance book about a girl called Fallon and a guy called Ben who meet the day before Fallon moves to New York. They hit it off and have an amazing day but then Fallon has to go. They agree to meet on once a year on November 9 for a few years before they agree to anything. But honestly, this book is so much more than that. So you'll just have to take my word for it and just read it!

It was such an incredible book and I still don't think I'm over it. Colleen Hoover is seriously the master of writing and she knows how to write a damn good book! I fell in love with this book and can't wait to re-read it again very soon!

#2

My second favourite book I read in 2016 is The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E Lockhart. I honestly picked this book up expecting it to be a really nice romance novel for the summer because I wanted something easy to read. But, boy, was I wrong! 

I'm not sure how to describe this book but I seriously don't think I would have read this book if someone were to describe it to me. I had already read We Were Liars by E Lockhart which I loved so I thought I'd give this one a go. I'm so glad I did. I enjoyed this so much more then I can say. I think because it wasn't what I expected and wasn't the kind of thing I usually read I enjoyed it so much more. Moral of the story: definitely force yourself to go out of your reading comfort zone because you never know, you might find something you love!

This book is set in a prestigious boarding school and tells the story of Frankie as she questions how things are and attempts to change them. It is worth noting that it is a little slow to begin with so stick with it as I promise you you won't regret it! I absolutely loved all the gender politics and intellectual content about Bentham's Panopticon and the possibility of a neglected positive pronoun. I will definitely be on the look out for more books like this because I adored it!

#3

My next favourite book of last year was It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover. Yes, I know, another Colleen Hoover book! Let's just say 2016 was the year I discovered and fell in love with Colleen Hoover's books! I also loved Ugly Love as well but I didn't want to swarm my favourites with all Colleen's books!

It Ends With Us is such an important book that I think everyone should read. It deals with some tough topics but Colleen deals with them so perfectly in this book. Again, it's probably best you go into this book knowing nothing except it will break your heart! But it is such an important book that needs to be read. The book follows Lily in both the past and the present and the goings on in her life at each time. Both journeys are so emotional and will rip out your heart and have you in floods of tears. SO keep the tissues near by!

As I said, I loved all three of Colleen's books that I read this year and I'm looking forward to making my way through her older novels as well as her new book called 'Without Merit' which is released on 3rd October! It's official, I'm a hard core Colleen Hoover fan and I've only read three of her books!

#4

Another favourite of 2016 is Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton. This book is the first in a new YA fantasy trilogy and I absolutely loved it! The best way I can describe it is the wild west meets arabian nights meets the X-Men meets eastern mythology meets dystopia. Yes, it is as incredible as it sounds!

The book is about a girl called Amani who is a sharp-shooter stuck in a town called Dustwalk with a need for escape. Then a mysterious new figure enters town and Amani seizes her chance to finally escape. There's danger, adventure and twists throughout the story. I loved Amani and Jin as characters and the verbal exchanges between them. I loved the dusty desert setting. I loved the mythology. I loved it all!

If you haven't picked it up already, hurry up! The second book in the trilogy 'Traitor to the Throne' is out now and the final one is out soon I think. I own the second book and I can't wait to read it!

#5


My final favourite from my 2016 reads is Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi. I was already a fan of Tahereh Mafi before going into this books as I love her Shatter Me trilogy. This book just confirmed my love for her writing.

Furthermore is a 'middle-grade' fantasy novel about a black and white girl called Alice who lives in a world saturated with colour and magic called Ferenwood. She has to go on this crazy quest with her friend into this deliciously whimsical world of Furthermore. I felt like I was in a really strange dream as I was reading this--it reminded me of a Studio Ghibli movie.

Tahereh's writing is absolutely beautiful! Her words are so delicately and poetically crafted and I just want to hold onto every sentence that little bit longer before turning the page. It was so different to the Shatter Me books but I was so pleased that her writing was as incredible as ever!


So those were the books I read in 2016 and my top 5 out of those books! I think you should definitely go read all 5. I read some really great books in 2016. I couldn't include all of my favourites in my top 5 but I really enjoyed reading some of John Green's books for the first time and lots of other first reads. But if I had to sum up my favourites, it would have to be the three Colleen Hoover books I read. I can't wait to read more, she is definitely one of my new favourite authors! But I had such a great year of reading, I hope I find some equally amazing books for the rest of this year!

Comments

Popular Posts