Hello and welcome!

Hi, I'm ThatGirlWhoReadsYA, and I'm a bookaholic. 

Books have been my life for as long as I can remember. Nothing quite compares to the thrill of devouring the magnificent and beautiful creation of art that is a book.

Thank you, books, for setting my expectations for reality so insanely high. But thank you also for providing me with the perfect escape route from all potential real-life responsibilities.

Please, make a cup of tea, grab a blanket, wear something cosy, and let me introduce you to me and my blog.

Welcome to my adventure through books :)


To introduce myself, I decided to use 'The Booktube Newbie Tag' created by Brenda C. Yes, yes, I know, this isn't a YouTube channel but I feel like it's a great way for you to get to know me. So here it is, this is me! (Side note: I have altered the questions slightly to relate to this blog.)

1) Why did you start this blog?

I started this blog because, obviously, I love books. But more importantly, I love chatting and gushing about books once I finish them. I don't really get the chance to talk seriously about books because only a few of my friends read and we don't always enjoy the same sorts of books.

I began to start reading reviews of books when I really started getting into reading in my early teens and then in the last few years, I discovered the booktube community. For me, it felt like reading and watching these people talk about books was like I was chatting with them. I was able to get recommendations and other people's opinions on the books I was reading.

So for a while I have been tempted to start my own blog to perhaps do the same for other people. But mostly, I created this blog so I could keep track of my own reading and get the most out of the books I was reading. But if you are reading this, hello! Thank you for reading my blog and I hope you enjoy being a part of my reading quest!

2) What are some fun and unique things you can bring to the community?

I'm hoping on this blog I can bring my own unique voice and my opinions on the books I'm reading. I'm hoping to do the usual  reviews, top 10 recommendations, yearly/mid-yearly wrap-ups and things but I'm also hoping to do some more fun posts as well. So keep up with my blog for these new exciting things! But hopefully, I will enjoy writing these posts and also, I hope any of you potentially reading this blog enjoy reading the content too!

3) What are you most excited about?

I'm really excited to write reviews as I think this will really enrich my reading experience, allowing me to look deeper into the books I'm reading. I love writing so writing about the books I love is really exciting and I've never really written reviews before!

4) Why do you love reading?

I love reading because it is my escape. It doesn't matter where I am, how lonely or upset I am, I can escape into a book and suddenly I feel comforted by this new world and the characters within it. Reading get's me through the tough times and also the happy ones!

I also love how imaginative and magical the experience is. The way that each person can visualise a book in their own unique way fascinates me. I love the vastness of my imagination and the infinite possibilities that await me on every page.

I also think the craftsmanship behind writing a book is breathtaking. I love it when I read such a beautifully written book that forces me to stop for a second and just devour the sentence in my mind as it warms my soul. (It may sound cheesy but if your a reader you know what I mean.)

One day, I hope to write a novel myself so reading allows me to also learn about writing and gain inspiration for what I could create myself one day.

5) What books or series got you into reading?

I feel like this is such a cliched answer but it is literally the first series that got me into reading. That series is the Harry Potter books, you may have heard of them?!

I started reading Harry Potter when I was about 10 years old. I had read lots of books before that but mostly I read book with my parents and none of them ever really inspired me in the same way.

But then I read Harry Potter and it changed my whole world. I suddenly adored reading. I couldn't wait to get home so I could read about Harry and Ron and Hermione's adventures; I kept my light on past my bed-time so I could read 'just one more chapter' which usually turned into many chapters; I secretly wished I would get my Hogwarts letter through the post on my Birthday when I turned 11; and I was the ultimate Harry Potter nerd when it came to Harry Potter trivia.

I wasn't part of the Potter generation so I read them after all books had been published and I wizzed through all seven in what, at the time, felt insanely fast.

So thank you  to J.K. Rowling for letting my be part of the wizarding world when I didn't seem to fit into my own world!

6) What questions would you ask fellow book bloggers/reviewers/youtubers?

I think my main question would be: how the hell do you keep up with all the work?! I'm worried I won't be able to post very frequently and I don't want to end up only posting about once a year! But I'm determined to do this and I will post as frequently as I can, I promise!

7) What challenges do you think you'll find hardest to overcome with starting a new blog?

Probably the main challenge will be making sure I read lots! I don't get through a whole load of books in a year (in comparison to other avid readers on the internet) so I'm not sure if I'll keep up with the reading, especially in busy term times! But again, I will try my hardest to make sure I read at least one book a month during busy times!

8) When did you start reading?

Well, as I said in one of my earlier answers, I started reading Harry Potter when I was 10 which is what really got me into my love for reading. But my parents always read books to me even when I was a baby and I loved story books. I think as soon as I had mastered physically reading I was reading as much as possible! I remember having frequent trips to our local library with my Mum and I would take out as many books as my library card would allow me to!

9) Where do you read?

I mostly like reading books in one sitting so this usually involves me making myself a cup of tea, putting on my joggers and my fluffy socks and then lying on my bed with my softest blanket and then I'll stay there for a good few hours until I've finished the book.

In the Summer I tend to take my books to the beach and read whilst sunbathing. Or if it's sunny I sometimes read in my hammock in the garden with a cold drink and the strong scent of suncream because otherwise I'll burn. (Although this is rare because if you don't know already, the sun does not exist in Britain.)

I also take my books with me in my bag whenever I go somewhere so that if I have a spare few moments I can keep reading. But I do find it hard to read with distractions around me so I mostly like reading at home where it's quiet!

10) What kind of books do you like to read?

I mainly read Young Adult books because this is my favourite genre! But if I'm feeling adventurous I sometimes dip my toes into other genres such as adult fiction, poetry and classics. But mostly I'm an all round YA kind of gal.

Within YA, I have many favourite generes. I mostly like to read contemporary or romance novels as these are so easy to read and I get through them so easily. In the Summer I pretty much only ever read contemporary or romance novels because I need something easy and fluffy to read in the sun (or the rain).

I also love Dystopian novels as I love the whole 'what if' concept and the idea of parallel world to our own. However, I think the massive trend in dystopia after the Hunger Games kind of ruined my love for it. But I hope to read more now that I'm not sick of dystopia after dystopia. I also like paranormal/urban fantasy in YA which is pretty much any book set in our world but involves magic or special powers. Time travel is probably my ultimate favourite kind of book as this honestly fascinates me like no other concept (this is true for movies and TV shows also)!

I love Sci-Fi as well and I read some fantasy however fantasy novels often intimidate me with their many pages and their complex worlds! But I do plan on reading more fantasy! But I mostly tend to stay safe and read a contemporary novel because I know its easy and won't make my head explode.


So this is me! If you read this, I hope you stay tuned for more of my reading related content! I'm really excited to start blogging as I think it's going to be exciting (but also hard work)!

Feel free to follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/tgwrya


And also follow me on GoodReads:
https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/47050720-thatgirlwhoreadsya


Thank you for reading, I'll see you very soon.

Happy reading!

Comments

Popular Posts