Book Review: 'To All the Boys I've Loved Before' Trilogy by Jenny Han


The 'To All the Boys I've Loved Before' Trilogy by Jenny Han

Ratings:
To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han: 4/5 stars (finished reading 15/8/16),
P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han: 4/5 stars (finished reading 23/8/16),
Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han, 4/5 stars (finished reading 2/7/17).

Cute, fluffy, heart-warmingly charming.

This contemporary trilogy follows American-Korean teen Lara Jean Song. Lara Jean writes letters to every boy she's ever loved and then keeps them hidden in her late-mother's hat box. One day, the letters are mysteriously sent out to these boys and the story follows Lara Jean as she copes with the events that follows.

I really loved this trilogy. It was so sweet and innocent and truly captured Lara Jean's character through and through. I loved seeing how Lara Jean grows from when she is sixteen at the beginning of book 1, to when she is 18 at the end of book 3. Jenny Han beautifully presents us with what it is to be a teenager; from the horrors of high school to the purity of a first love. I related so much to Lara Jean's mass of emotions such as dealing with change and the tragedy of growing up. Her character is so warm and loving. I loved reading about her baking and crafts and her loyalty and dedication to her personal creative goals. Lara Jean is hands down the friend and sister we all wish we had.

I fell in love with Lara Jean's family from the very first page. The sisterly bond between Lara Jean, Margot and Kitty was so sweet but also electrifying. Despite the contrasts in character between these sisters, they show the importance of family and I loved reading about them. Kitty is the most adorable and sassy little sister and I just loved all her retorts to her sisters. I also loved Margot as the sensible and proper sister. I think both characters actually brought out Lara Jean's character as the sweet and caring one even more so, they just work so well together. I also loved reading about the girls' father as he finally moves on from the death of his wife.

The relationship between Lara Jean and Peter was romantic perfection. I enjoyed soaking it all in, seeing how the two of them developed from childhood friends, to fellow students, to fake lovers into true love. I think this is honestly the best part of this story being a part of a trilogy as we get to see their love develop but also we see the challenges they face when together and how their love blossoms from these wounds. I usually hate how YA romances always end just as the couple get's together as we never actually see what they are like as a couple. But in this series we do! We see Lara Jean and Peter both apart and together. Not only that, but we see that it's not all happily ever after when the couple end up together. Especially in the 3rd book when we see the worries and uncertainties of a long term relationships at the age of 18. This was really nice to see and I admired Jenny Han for giving us this followup of the 'happily ever after'.

The trilogy also allowed us to experience all the little moments that we don't see in stand alone contemporary novels. We get to see the cute romantic moments such as the relationship contract and the promposal; we also get to see the funny moments such as the game of assassins; and also the real and genuine moments of everyday life. These didn't really add anything to the plot as such but I loved reading all these little cute moments as they really helped to shape the characters and their place in the story and were a genuine pleasure to read. I also loved the mini-excursions that took place in the book through both school trips and spontaneous travel. I think this made the story more varied and dynamic to read as well as really developing Lara Jean's character as she adapted to this. It is moments like these that we see her sisters' influence on her such as when her and Chris spontaneously visit UNC and Lara Jean shows elements of caution found in her sister Margot but also the wildness and fearlessness of her sister Kitty. I loved reading about these excursions as I felt like I was going on the journey with Lara Jean.

The books also cover some important themes of life changes and also endings. It was heartbreaking to read about Lara Jean's emotions as she went through the process of ending a chapter of her life in book 3. Her sudden realisation that this was the end of this part of her life was so relatable and emotional to read. I also felt for Margot as she came home after being away to find what seemed like an entirely different family and how they all coped with their father's new partner and the difficulties of these changes. I think this was made more prevalent through the fact this was a trilogy as I feel I became closer to the characters over the course of three books and I found it hard to see Lara Jean letting go of the past. But I loved the ending and it was very satisfying, we are able to get closure for the story and yet also find ourselves missing it as soon as we turn the last page.

I really enjoyed reading Lara Jean's story. It is so sweet and cute and warm and happy and it was such a great romantic read. If you haven't picked up this series yet, you definitely should! If you're looking to get out of a reading slump or you're looking for something cute and romantic for this summer then here it is, Jenny Han is your hero.

Comments

Popular Posts