Book Review: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine 
by Gail Honeyman


(Finished reading: 3/4/18)

5/5 stars

Unique, heart-warming, thought-provoking.

“I suppose one of the reasons we’re able to continue to exist for our allotted span in this green and blue vale of tears is that there is always, however remote it might seem, the possibility of change.”

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine follows the story of Eleanor Oliphant, a thirty-year-old woman living a very simple life alone in Glasgow. She’s worked at the same company for several years, wears the same clothes and has the same routine. The story follows Eleanor’s transformation as she discovers what’s she’s been missing all this time whilst also attempting to let go of her past.

I must admit, I was sceptical going into this novel because of all the hype it has been receiving and because most hyped-up books I read seem to leave me disappointed or unsatisfied. However, this book was an exception. EOICF makes for such a unique and wonderful reading experience. It isn’t exactly the kind of book I typically reach for but I am so glad I decided to give this one a go. It explores so many important issues such as loneliness, grief and kindness. I found it deeply thought-provoking and I loved the experience of wanting to cry one second and then suddenly wanting to laugh by the next sentence. It is truly a work of genius that deserves all the hype it receives and I hope as many people read it as physically possible.

The best part of this book was certainly the use of character and narrative voice. Eleanor is such a fascinating and eccentric character; everything about her is so unique and unusual. The majority of the book is basically told through Eleanor’s internal monologue which consists of her thoughts, feeling and opinions based on the observations she makes. In many ways, it resembled a kind of sociological experiment or a scientific study of chimps. I loved being inside Eleanor’s head, it was like seeing the world in a completely different way. The way she analyses the absurdity of contemporary human etiquette frequently made me grin like an idiot. In many ways, it also reminded me of reading from the mind of a child where everything is all so new and peculiar. Her voice was so refreshingly different from any other first-person-narrative I’ve ever read. Gale Honeyman has completely transformed what it is to write a novel from this perspective. Not only this, but Eleanor’s character was so precisely and intricately designed. I feel like I know everything about Eleanor, from her drinking habits to her crossword habits. She’s a walking contradiction: absurdly loveable, chaotically organised and perfectly damaged. She made me laugh and she made me tear up, I feel as though I got to know Eleanor so well throughout the book and was genuinely sad to let her go as I turned the last page.

One of the key themes in this book is the portrayal of loneliness. Eleanor has no one at the beginning of this book: no one who cares about her, no one she can talk to, no one she can love. She is a survivor of an unfortunate past and as a result she is left disconnected from reality. It was heart-wrenching to read about Eleanor’s situation, and indeed, the situation of many just like her in real life. I think we often assume loneliness only relates to the older generations when in fact loneliness is as much as an issue with younger adults. I thought Eleanor’s tale was really eye opening to these issues. Like many of Eleanor’s colleagues and acquaintances, I think we are all somewhat guilty of being ignorant of others’ situations. Or more importantly, we have become oblivious to the power of kindness. This book beautifully illustrates the effect that very small acts of kindness can have on the people who need it most. I really hope that this book can make other people more aware of this in the same way it has made me think about how I impact others. I love that Eleanor’s story possesses the power to bring about so much positive change in the world.

I thought the use of plot was also very effective. I liked how the book is split into sections labelled ‘Good Days’, ‘Bad Days’ and ‘Better Days’. In many ways, I think this reflects life in general, we have good days, we have bad days, and, despite the very worst of days, we also have better days. The tone of the story is very much told through these sections and I really liked this shift in tone and how it structured the novel as a whole. I liked the build up from the beginning, I thought it was a good introduction to Eleanor and her life but at the same time her past is always a mystery and a source of anticipation to be revealed. I liked seeing the development of Eleanor as she changes and develops one small step at a time. I loved seeing her relationships between the other characters deepen and blossom throughout the story. Although not a lot appears to go on throughout the story, I wanted to savour every detail. I wouldn’t say this is a fast paced-action sort of novel, but rather an intricate tour of the brain of a unique and fascinating individual. I also thought Gale Honeyman perfectly balances the readers emotions. It wasn’t too sad, but it wasn’t too happy. Just when I thought I was about to cry I’d find myself smiling, but equally, if I was laughing I’d soon have my heart-strings plucked. But most of all, this story gave me hope for ‘the better days’ even when it feels like things can’t get any better. After all, life is just a roller coaster, so we may as well enjoy the ride before it’s our time to leave.

Overall, I absolutely loved reading EOICF. It’s so different from anything I’ve ever read before and I think that’s why I enjoyed it so much. The writing is stunning, I loved every bit. I highly recommend to absolutely everyone, especially if you love reading something both thought-provoking as well as uplifting. We all need this book.

Comments

Popular Posts