Book Review: Before We Were Strangers By Renee Carlino


Before We Were Strangers
By Renee Carlino

(Finished Reading: 17/5/18)

5/5 stars

Sweet, wild, emotional.

“Poetry is just evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.”

Matt and Grace first meet in their final year of college. He’s studying photography, she’s studying music and together they spend their days exploring New York in the craziest and cheapest ways possible. But college ends and fifteen years go by without Grace or Matt seeing one another. Until one day, when they see each other on the subway platform, waiting for the F train. Matt is suddenly thrown back to their time together fifteen years ago and is determined to find Grace again.

This book genuinely filled me with such joy. I don’t think I was expecting to enjoy it as much as I did but I truly adored it. It’s such a heart-warming tale of memories, love and lost time but there’s also such much more to it. The story was so beautifully written with so many great quote-worthy passages. I really liked the structure and how it switched from present, past and back to present. In many ways, reading this book honestly felt like I was watching a film in my head. I could picture everything so clearly and the dialogue felt so real and genuine. I felt totally immersed. I would absolutely love to see this book adapted for the screen as I think this would work SO so well.

I completely fell in love with the characters in this book. Both Grace and Matt’s characters were complex and had lots of depth. In some ways they were very alike and yet in other ways they were completely different but as a couple they were incredible. I loved seeing how their strong friendship developed into utter adoration for one another. But even all the other characters had their own unique identities and personalities, none of them felt unnecessary or vaguely described. I could vivdly imagine every person in this book, they all felt very much alive throughout the pages.

I also really loved the concept of two students navigating New York City in the 1990s. This was such a perfect setting for the story and I felt like I was right there with them. Neither Grace nor Matt were living off much money and this lead to some unforgettable tales. I think many students could relate to Matt and Grace’s stories. The setting was definitely a key part of this story, as if New York itself stored their happy memories even when they weren’t there.

I think the photography and music elements of the book were beautifully blended into the story. I would love to be able to see Matt’s dreamy black and white film prints in real life or be able to hear Grace playing her cello. I think because the majority of the story is about their memories of the past, the photos and music highlighted how a photo or a piece of music really has the power to transform you back into another time. This made the story a truly sensory experience. Matt and Grace’s passion seeped through the pages and intertwined with their passion for one another. It certainly added to the nostalgic-vibes of their past.

Overall, this book was just a beautiful experience to read. It’s nostalgic, romantic, heart-breaking and passionate. I highly highly recommend to all hopeless romantics looking for a dreamy book to get lost in. I will definitely be picking up more of Renee Carlino’s books because if any of them are as good as this one then I am in for a really great year of reading!

Comments

Popular Posts