Rapid Review: Pumpkinheads by Rowell & Hicks

Pumpkinheads

by Rainbow Rowell & Faith Erin Hicks

(finished reading: 23/10/20)

5/5 stars

Cosy, autumnal and sugary sweet!!

Pumpkinheads is hands down THE perfect autumn read! I’m personally not hugely into horror and spooky stories but I always crave reading something autumnal as soon as the leaves start to fall. I love Rainbow Rowell’s books and remember that when this came out last year I was so desperate to read it but unfortunately the month flew by and I didn’t get to it in time! But I’m so glad I waited until October to read it as it just perfectly captures this month in every way.

Pumpkinheads is a graphic novel that follows Josiah and Deja on their last shift working on the pumpkin patch before they both move away for college. The colour palette gorgeously captures the warm tones of autumn and references all things relating to the fall season. I loved all the tiny details in the background from the cheesy store slogans to the adorable Halloween costumes. I could smell and taste all the food through the pages and fully felt transported to this magical land of visiting the pumpkin patch of dreams.

As always, Rainbow Rowell’s characters were crafted to perfection. The diverse representation was just on point. I loved the witty dialogue, and the humour was subtle but absolutely perfect. I truly related to Deja’s love of food on a serious level. I thought Deja and Josie’s personalities and views on the world provided a great amount of depth of them as people as well as a life lesson about friendship and knowing how to make the most of those great moments. The emotional depth in the illustrations really added to this in certain scenes and brought their characters to life. I think Rainbow Rowell and Faith Erin Hicks really are the dream team.

Overall, I can absolutely see myself giving this a reread every October from now on! It’s such a cute story and I really don’t see myself ever getting bored of it! I highly recommend to anyone looking for something to fully embrace the spirit of October!

Comments

Popular Posts