Rapid Review: Heartstopper Volumes 1-3 by Alice Oseman

Heartstopper (Volumes 1-3)

by Alice Oseman

Finished reading: 31/12/2020

5/5 stars.


Heartstopper is a web comic series that explores side characters Nick and Charlie’s story prior to Alice Oseman’s debut novel Solitaire. Despite not being a fan of Solitaire as a novel (read my review of Solitaire here: https://thatgirlwhoreadsya.blogspot.com/2020/05/book-review-solitaire-by-alice-oseman.html), one of the things I actually really liked about the book was the portrayal of Nick and Charlie’s relationship. Therefore, I was really keen to read the comic series. And oh boy, this series is such a gracious gift to the world! I had so much more fun reading it than I had anticipated!!

Alice Oseman sure is the queen of artfully crafting diverse and relatable characters. I think I enjoyed this series much more than her novels because it is even more character-driven and so much less plot oriented. Because of this, it’s essentially a series of wonderfully cute and hilarious little scenes between these gorgeous characters. Which is just the best kind of perfect. I love Alice’s attention to detail to every single character, not just the two leading characters. For example, I absolutely loved the little teacher side-plot in volume 3! Because of these details, I think everyone can empathise, learn and identify with elements of all of the characters. I really like the cross overs between her books too, for example it was nice to see a younger Aled from Radio Silence! All the new faces were such great additions too, I loved seeing the gang altogether on the Paris trip in volume 3.

The LGBTQIA+ topics were handled so so perfectly. I think many will find Nick and Charlie’s personal challenges such as coming out extremely relatable and hopefully be comforted with the knowledge that their feelings and experiences are totally valid. For example, I felt volume 2 in particular handled the topic of questioning one’s sexuality in such an honest and emotional way. There are also some beautifully subtle teaching moments that attempt to subvert a lot of stereotypes and myths surrounding the LGBTQIA+ community. For example, the wonderful PE teacher who calls out some of the students’ harmful behaviour! I wish I could get everyone to read this series as I think a lot of people could learn a thing or to from these incredible books.

I like how each volume felt very distinct too. Volume 1 captured the awkwardness of falling for someone you have no control over and the sweetness of falling in love. Volume 2 focused mostly on Nick figuring out and coming to terms with his sexuality and the frustration this brings. Volume 3 very much tackled the fear of being outed before you’re ready and how to tackle this in a healthy way. I loved each of the three equally as they all dealt with really important issues in a similarly cute and heartfelt way. I am so desperately excited to see what volume 4 will bring!

Overall reading Heartstopper has got to be one of the sweetest and most joyous reading experiences I have ever encountered. I have a feeling I will be returning to this series again and again whenever I am feeling in particular need of comfort.

Comments

Popular Posts