Book Review: Loveless by Alice Oseman

Loveless

By Alice Oseman

Finished reading: 09/04/21

My rating: 5/5 stars.

“I've learnt some things. Like the way friendship can be just as intense, beautiful, and endless as romance. Like the way there's love everywhere around me - there's love for my friends, there's love for my paintings, there's love for myself.”

Loveless is Alice Osman’s fourth young adult novel. It follows 18-year-old Georgia Warr as she navigates starting university, a full-on identity crisis and a journey to self-acceptance.

This has to be Oseman’s best novel to date, for sure. It felt like a more polished, more mature combination of all the best parts of her previous novels: the geeky pop culture references of Solitaire, the strong friendships of Radio Silence, the exquisite representation in I Was Born For This, and even the soft charm of the Heartstopper comics. But as well as all this, Loveless had a beautifully delicate sense of honesty and vulnerability. This, in my opinion, is what puts it strongly above her previous books.

You could really feel how deeply personal this story is to Oseman. I utterly admire both her bravery and her gift for crafting something so emotionally complex.  It made this novel feel so much more organic and realistic. Most obviously being her representation of asexuality and aromanticism, which were handled so so perfectly. It was so refreshing to finally read about an ace/aro main character. This alone feels like a historical landmark in queer literature. Which I am both thrilled about and saddened that it is among such a niche collection of similar works. I really hope that this book paves the way for more ace/aro representation. I loved all the little tropes and details Oseman included. I think these are what made it feel less like a work of fiction and more like an autobiography. I am so happy that Oseman wrote this book and has allowed so many ace/aro individuals to feel seen.

As always, Oseman’s cast of gorgeously colourful and diverse characters truly illustrated every up and down of student life. Oseman understands the internet generation better than any other author I’ve read, and this is really what makes her books so magical. Loveless was no exception. I loved the friendship group and that they all had their own struggles. Even some of the smaller side characters had me weeping. I really enjoyed her representation of being a student at a British university. Again, it felt genuinely realistic to British uni culture and the experiences that so many students go through.

Usually, it’s the plot of Oseman’s novels that hold me back from adoring them. However, I thought the plot of Loveless was just perfect. It really goes to show that simple is best. Everything was intentional and well placed. The emotions drove the story forward and it did not need any over complicated factors to create waves. I liked the four-act structure and each part felt distinct yet still consistent. The overall message is just so beautiful. It brings up so many deeply important themes and discusses them in such a mature unproblematic way. I really wish I could go back and give this to my teenage self because she really could have done with making this novel her personality. It truly just highlights the importance of education and representation.

Overall, this book is stunning. It is definitely in my list of all time favourite books. I cannot put into words how deeply and positively this book affected me. There are so many people who need this book and I just wish I could encourage everyone to read it. There is so much more I could say, but instead I think I’ll just go rewatch Moulin Rouge, Easy A and the live action Scooby-Doo movie in honour of the Loveless gang.

Here are my new rankings of my favourite Alice Oseman novels: 1) Loveless, 2) Radio Silence, 3) I Was Born For This, 4) Solitaire. I cannot wait to find out what Oseman writes next, but whatever it will be I am certain I will love it as she is such an amazing author and a great example for writers to follow.

Comments

Popular Posts