Rapid Review: Heartstopper Volume 4 by Alice Oseman

 Heartstopper Volume 4

By Alice Oseman

Finished reading: 6/5/21

My rating: 5/5


I was highly anticipating the release of Heartstopper Volume 4 and was so thrilled to find the release date had been moved forward by a week!! I reread volumes 1-3 and then read volume 4 on release day. I absolutely adored every page.

Volume 4 felt very different from the previous volumes. It focuses much more on Charlie’s mental health which felt a little heavier but not so heavy that it lost the warmth and comfort of the series. As always, Alice Oseman dealt with these topics so perfectly and sensitively. It provided some really wise advice for those suffering with similar mental illnesses as well as their loved ones.

The illustrations also felt much more refined and detailed than the previous volumes. I loved that we had so many stunningly beautiful whole page panels, I would love coloured postcard prints of these for my wall! I loved the shading and textures and all the subtle little details. I think for this reason this volume read much more like a graphic novel than the webcomic origins of Heartstopper.  It felt much more polished but just as charming and recognisable as Heartstopper.

The use of journal entries in this volume was also a really nice angle on the story. It helped to add depth to the narrative, particularly to the important elements relating to Charlie’s struggles. It was a refreshing break from the usual dialogue format and I thought it was used really effectively.

I particularly enjoyed the focus on family in this volume. Volume 3 very much focused on the friendship group and I’m glad that we still witnessed this in volume 4. But I enjoyed seeing more of Nick and Charlie’s families. I absolutely loved seeing the crossover with Oseman’s debut novel Solitaire. It was nice to read the events from Nick and Charlie’s perspectives and yet still recognise elements of Tori’s story. Tori honestly had some of the best moments in this volume and it was so nice to see her and Michael post-Solitaire!

I think I’m now even more obsessed with this series. I’m gutted that volume 5 will be the end but also super excited to see the Netflix adaptation. I was fortune to attend Alice Oseman’s launch event where she discussed all things Heartstopper and it was so nice to hear more about the behind-the-scenes of the books and TV show. I’m just so grateful to have this series to go back to whenever I need it as it is the perfect pick-me-up. Please go read volumes 1-4 if you haven’t already!!

Comments

Popular Posts