Rereading Review: AADDTSOTU by Benjamin Alire Saenz

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

by Benjamin Alire Saenz

[Reread]


First finished: around 2014-2015

Second read finished: 31/08/21

My new rating: 5/5 stars.

“Words were different when they lived inside of you.”

AADDTSOTU is a contemporary YA novel that follows two 15-year-old boys from Mexican families living in El Paso, Texas in the 1980s. We watch Ari and Dante’s friendship grow over two years from the ages of 15 to 17 as they struggle with their identities, families, and the transition into adulthood.

I initially read this book as a teenager circa 2014-2015 after seeing many positive reviews online. I remember disliking the writing style and found the story slow and lacking in plot. I distinctively recall turning the last page with a disappointed feeling of ‘Huh. Is that it? What was the point in this?’. I gave it 2/5 stars, according to Goodreads, before returning it to my shelf to gather dust.

Fast forward to a couple months ago in June when I found out that a sequel to this novel was to be released later this year. I could barely remember anything about the book I read around 6 years ago other than my dislike for it. I pulled it off my shelf and read the first chapter and decided I wanted to give it a second chance. I never usually reread novels, not even my all-time favourite books, let alone the ones I have a memory of disliking.

This book truly captivated me from start to finish. Saenz has a truly beautiful way with words that is both simple to follow whilst simultaneously poetic, profound and philosophical. I really wish I had bookmarked sentences as I was reading as there were so many emotive and soulful quotes that I felt deep in my chest. There is something so magical about the power of words and Saenz provides an exceptional case study of the impact of this on the characters within the book as well as the reader consuming the book.

The story is incredibly thematic, atmospheric, and character-driven but certainly not conventional in its lack of plot. I can see why teenage-me was disinterested by the absence of plot twists and narrative hooks. But this is what made current-me love it so much more. There is so much skill in crafting something beautiful and powerful in a simple way. In this instance, less was certainly more. It was so refreshing to read a novel told chronologically with one point of view that didn’t rely on complicated literary features to sustain the reader’s interest.

I love a dialogue-heavy book and I love short chapters and this book delivered on both. The pace of the novel helped to emphasise Ari’s frustration and confusion with being a teenager. It reflected the heat and fury of wishing you could speed up time so a phase of your life could be over and how this only makes time go slower. Because the book is largely dialogue, much of it feels as though it’s taking place in real time. The gaps between dialogue become much shorter as Ari begins to open up to others whereas the first half is significantly more internal dialogue to reflect Ari’s shift from inward to outward expression of himself. This is what made the plot a wonderful emotional journey as opposed to a physical quest.

I absolutely adored the characters and theme of family throughout. Ari and Dante are such sweet and lovely boys and it saddened me to see how patriarchal constructs put these unnecessary pressures on them to fit with what it is to be a ‘real’ man. Even though this book is set in the ‘80s, these pressures still seem just as, or perhaps even more, relevant than ever. Ari as a character seemed very stubborn and unlikeable at times and yet his anger was so relatable to both men and women alike. Dante’s confidence and quirkiness was just divine and such a welcome relief from an otherwise intense and emotional reading experience. I loved to see both of their relationships with their parents, as well as their parents’ relationships with the other parents. Saenz accurately depicts the challenging relationship between parents and teens but also provides such a gentle and gorgeous window into what it is to love your parents and be loved by your parents unconditionally. This is something I rarely see in YA fiction. Perhaps it’s because generally it’s not seen as 'cool' to like your parents when you’re a teen. But I really liked that this played a central part in the story and Saenz crafts these moments in such an organic and heart-warming way.

It’s strange as I felt myself relating to Ari and Dante’s frustrations and confusions more as an adult than I ever did as a teenager. I don’t think I needed this book a few years ago but I definitely felt I needed it now and this made the reading experience much more nuanced and emotional than my first read. I rarely cry whilst reading but this book made me tear up a few times throughout. So much of this book is about trying to understand yourself whilst also understanding the world. This is a typical ‘coming of age’ theme in YA literature and yet it is one we carry with us for our entire lives and I feel we miss out on in a lot of adult fiction. I’m a firm believer that anyone can read YA but I think this book in particular has a universal quality that is as much valuable to adults as well as younger adults and teens.

Overall, I am so glad I gave this book another chance as it has been one of my favourite reading experiences ever. I have pre-ordered and am highly anticipating the sequel which is due to be released in October. As much as I loved the ending of AADDTSOTU (it was, in my opinion, one of the best endings of all time) it definitely feels right to return to these characters and hopefully reach a little more closure on their lives. This reading experience has also encouraged me to want to reread more books and continue to read more YA in future. It just goes to show, as Saenz puts it, “everyone is always becoming someone else”. This book hasn’t changed but I certainly feel like a different person to who I was upon first reading it.

 

Comments

Popular Posts